Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes with pecans, cranberries and balsamic vinegar make for an excellent holiday side dish or a flavorful fall weeknight staple. Plus, this recipe is gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian to fit all the dietary needs in your life!
- Prep Time: 14
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 49 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (roughly 1 large or 2 medium)
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- Adjust the rack to the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Prepare the brussels sprouts by cutting the hard end of each brussels sprout and remove the outer leaves. Next, cut each brussels sprouts in half and place in a large bowl.
- Prepare the sweet potatoes by peeling and chopping into bite-sized pieces. Combine the sweet potatoes with the brussels sprouts in the large bowl.
- Quarter the shallot and mince the garlic. Add both into the large bowl with the brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes.
- Whisk the extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt and black pepper in a small bowl and pour over large bowl with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, garlic and shallots.
- Next, dump the large bowl on to a large baking sheet and spread the vegetables out in a single layer. Make sure not to overcrowd the vegetables. Also make sure to scrape the bowl with a spatula so all the minced garlic and balsamic vinegar mixture gets mixed and roasted with the vegetables.
- Roast for about 35-40 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Place in serving dish and toss in pecans and dried cranberries and enjoy!
- Make sure not to overcrowd the vegetables on the baking sheet. Overcrowded vegetables will steam instead of roast, and you will lose the glorious roasted caramelized flavor and crispy texture.
- Chop the vegetables so that they are about the same size. This helps them roast evenly.
Keywords: brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, pecans, balsamic vinegar, dried cranberries, Thanksgiving