This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.
Discover the perfect sweet treat with a twist – Salted Pistachio Dark Chocolate Cookies! Get our easy recipe, tips for success and indulge in nutty, chocolatey goodness. These cookies are the perfect combination of sweet and salty and make great additions to any holiday cookie box!
Get ready, cookie lovers, because today we'll dive into a delectable world of a pistachio shortbread cookie dipped in dark chocolate and sprinkled with flaky sea salt! These scrumptious treats combine the nutty goodness of pistachios with the rich, indulgent flavor of dark chocolate – all with a sprinkling of sea salt to make your taste buds sing. Because if you know me at all, you know that sea salt is one of two ingredients I almost always bake with. (The other ingredient is bourbon!)
While there isn't bourbon in these cookies, these beauties are sprinkled with a pinch of flaky, semi-course sea salt. Sea salt has a distinct, mineral-rich taste that can intensify and complement the flavors of baked goods. When used in moderation, it can help balance the sweetness and bring out the best in other ingredients, such as chocolate and nuts – both of which are in these cookies!
I like to include these cookies in my holiday season cookie boxes. They are the perfect buttery cookies to satisfy your cookie craving! I like to serve these pistachio chocolate cookies with a glass of cold milk or a hot cup of coffee.
Why You Should Make This Recipe
Unique flavor combination: The blend of pistachios, dark chocolate and sea salt offers a delightful mix of sweet, salty and nutty flavors, creating a memorable taste experience.
Easy to make: The recipe is simple, straightforward and uses simple pantry ingredients, making it an excellent choice for bakers of all skill levels. This dough can also be made ahead of time and frozen, making for an easy peasy slice-and-bake cookie whenever you want one!
Versatile: These cookies are suitable for various occasions, from casual get-togethers to more formal events, and can also be customized with different mix-ins and toppings.
Crowd-pleaser: The enticing combination of flavors and textures in these cookies will impress your friends and family, making it a go-to recipe for gatherings and celebrations.
Great for gifting: These cookies' elegant appearance and delicious taste make them thoughtful homemade gifts for holidays, birthdays, or to show appreciation to someone special.
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar (light or dark)
- pure vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- dark chocolate
- sea salt
See the printable recipe card below for exact quantities.
How to Make Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
These tasty pistachio cookies come together quickly. Here are the basics of how to make them:
- Soften the butter.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the softened butter, sugars, vanilla extract and salt together.
- Add the flour.
- Add the pistachios.
- Divide dough into two and shape into logs; refrigerate.
- Slice and bake!
- Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl and dunk the cookie, then sprinkle with sea salt.
See the printable recipe card below for exact recipe instructions.
Recommended Cookie Equipment & Tools
Stand mixer, wire rack, cookie sheets
Shortbread Cookie Storage
Once cooled, store your chocolate pistachio cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
These cookies can be frozen. After the cookies have cooled completely, place them in a freezer-safe bag or airtight container. You can use wax or parchment paper between the layers of cookies to prevent sticking. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. To eat, simply take them out and allow them to come to room temperature.
Freezing Shortbread Dough
Having slice-and-bake cookie dough in the freezer can be a real time saver come the holidays when you really want to participate in that holiday cookie exchange, but you're busy running around from Christmas performances to parties and last-minute Christmas shopping. This shortbread dough freezes beautifully.
After you've prepared your shortbread cookie dough and shaped it into two logs, wrap each long log tightly in plastic wrap. Then place the logs into a freezer zip-top bag. Remember to label the bag with the recipe name and date. I also print out this recipe, fold it and place it in the bag so you can easily reference the baking instructions when you're ready to bake! Store the dough in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Baking Shortbread Dough From Frozen
You don't need to thaw the dough when you're ready to bake. Simply remove it from the freezer and wait a few minutes until it's just soft enough to slice. Follow the recipe below and add 1-2 extra minutes to the baking time. The cookies are ready when they're lightly golden around the edges.
Absolutely! Almonds, walnuts, or hazelnuts are all great alternatives for this pistachio chocolate cookie recipe.
Of course! Feel free to customize your Salted Pistachio Chocolate Slice and Bake Cookies with your preferred chocolate type.
Let's face it – who doesn't love a good cookie? These Salted Pistachio Dark Chocolate Cookies with Sea Salt are perfect for satisfying those sweet cravings with a touch of sophistication. The combination of salty, crunchy pistachios and luscious dark chocolate creates an irresistible treat that will have you coming back for more.
If you give this recipe a try, please leave a comment below, rate the recipe, and don’t forget to tag me @homesweetfarmhome on Instagram and use the hashtag #homesweetfarmhome. I’d love to see what you come up with and share with our community. Cheers!Print
Salted Pistachio Dark Chocolate Cookies
Discover the perfect sweet treat with a twist – Salted Pistachio Dark Chocolate Cookies! The cookies are the perfect combination of sweet and salty and make great additions to any holiday cookie box!
- Prep Time: 14
- Cooling Time: 120
- Cook Time: 12
- Total Time: 2 hours 26 minutes
- Yield: 24 cookied 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Making
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped pistachios, divided*
- 10 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- sea salt for sprinkling on top
- Using a hand mixer and a large bowl or a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter on high speed until completely smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar and beat together until smooth and creamy. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Next, add the vanilla extract and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour until combined. The dough will be crumbly.
- Add chopped pistachios to the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and divide into two.
- Shape divided dough into logs (about 2.5 inches in diameter), wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight (recommended).
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Remove cookie dough logs from the refrigerator and slice each log into 12 equally sized cookies, 24 cookies total.
- Place cookies on prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart and bake for 12-14 minutes. The cookies are ready when they are lightly golden brown around the edges. Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheets and then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are cooled, now it's time to melt the chocolate.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chopped dark chocolate chunks in 15-second increments (stir after each increment) until completely melted and smooth.
- Dunk the bottom of the cookie in the dark chocolate and sprinkle with sea salt. Let chocolate set and enjoy!
To help the chocolate set, place the baking sheets in the refrigerator.
Keywords: cookies, cookie box, pistachio, dark chocolate
Leave a Reply