Easy to make, this Strawberry Simple Syrup is sweet, delicious and versatile
I have a slight obsession with rhubarb. Every time I see it at the store, I buy it. It must be something to do with its scarcity. We get a short window every year to make delicious treats with this wonderful crop. So I tend to buy it when I see it knowing it won’t be here for long (once we finish rebuilding the farmhouse, I plan to grow it in our garden). But sometimes, I forget that I have stockpiled rhubarb in my fridge, and I need to do something with it. That’s where this delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Simple Syrup comes in.
Easy to make, this Strawberry Simple Syrup is sweet, delicious and versatile. It can be used on top of pancakes, waffles, scones, or in ice cream and cocktails. While rhubarb may seem like a complicated ingredient to use, it’s not. It adds a sweet tang to anything you make with it. I promise you’ll love it as much as I do.
How to make Strawberry Rhubarb Simple Syrup
- I promise it’s easy. Simply chop up the strawberries and rhubarb, place in a medium-sized saucepan, add sugar and water. Let mixture come to a boil, then simmer for about 20-25 minutes. Strain and then you have a wonderfully versatile, oh-so irresistibly sweet Strawberry Rhubarb Simple Syrup.
What to do with your Strawberry Rhubarb Simple Syrup
- Because this simple syrup is so versatile, you can use it in many recipes. Try using it like regular maple syrup, drizzled on top of pancakes, waffles, scones – keep in mind it is on the thin side. But my favorite way to use it is mixed with ice cream and cocktails, like in my Strawberry Rhubarb Margaritas and Strawberry Rhubarb Ice Cream.
How long does the Strawberry Rhubarb Simple Syrup last?
- The syrup will last about 3 weeks stored in your refrigerator.
I am sure you will like this Strawberry Rhubarb Simple Syrup as much as we do. Check out my other delicious strawberry and rhubarb recipes.
Strawberry Rhubarb Simple Syrup
Easy to make, this Strawberry Simple Syrup is sweet, delicious and versatile.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
- Category: syrup
- Method: simmer
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Roughly chop strawberries and rhubarb and place into a medium-sized saucepan.
- Pour sugar and water over strawberries and rhubarb in the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer until fruit is soft and liquid has thickened, about 25 minutes. Cool slightly to handle.
- Pour over a mesh strainer that is placed over a large bowl. Use the back of a spoon to help extract any extra liquid from the solids.
- Pour the syrup into a clean jar or bottle, cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Keywords: simple syrup
So easy and delicious!