This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.
Full of warm, rich spices, these Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Bourbon Cream Cheese Frosting & Pecan and Toffee Bits are sure to be a treat this fall!
This is the first week that it really feels like fall. It’s cloudy, and the leaves are turning quickly in the vineyard - harvest is upon us friends! I wore a sweatshirt all day yesterday and couldn’t be happier about it! I love when summer comes into our life, but I also love that it leads us to fall. Fall is my favorite season. It's a time to get back on routine, watch college football and bake in the kitchen! I made these Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Bourbon Cream Cheese Frosting and Pecan & Toffee Bits to officially kick off fall in our house, even though it's supposed to be back to 80 next week.
These whoopie pies are moist, full of rich and warm spices, and the sweetness of the pumpkin is perfectly balanced out by the cream cheese frosting that has hints of bourbon – because, well, bourbon makes everything better.
For the frosting, I started out with my basic cream cheese frosting recipe. Next, I added the bourbon one teaspoon at a time until I was happy with the flavor. If you have a heavy hand with the bourbon pour, it can make the frosting too thin and runny. So it’s best to start out teaspoon by teaspoon to make sure the flavor and thickness are to your liking. If the frosting happens to get a little runny, just pop it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight to thicken and for the flavors to deepen.
If you like like baking with pumpkin as much as I do, check out these delicious treats: Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies, Bourbon Pecan Pumpkin Pie and Pumpkin Spice Sheet Cake with Bourbon Pecan Pumpkin Pie.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.Print
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Bourbon Cream Cheese Frosting and Pecan & Toffee Bits
Full of warm, rich spices, these whoopie pies are sure to be a treat this fall!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10-12 min
- Total Time: 2 hours with Cookie Cool Time
- Yield: 24 Whoopie Pies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 ½ cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Bourbon Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a large bowl, whisk pumpkin, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Whisk flour mixture into pumpkin mixture.
- Using a 1 ½ tablespoon scoop (I use this cookie scoop), scoop dough and place at least 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until puffed and edges are lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool on pans for 10 minutes and transfer to wire racks to cool completely prior to frosting.
- Combine chopped pecans and toffee bits in a shallow bowl.
- Spread Bourbon Cream Cheese Frosting on to flat side of half the cookies. Place remaining cookies, flat side down on top of frosting.
- Roll edges of whoopie pie in pecan toffee bit mixture.
- Whoopie pies are best made and eaten on the same day.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Keywords: pumpkin whoopie pies, cream cheese frosting, bourbon, pecans, toffee bits
Love these! They taste like a mix of gingerbread and pumpkin bread, not too overly sweet (and they go down a little too easy). I made some frosting with bourbon and without, and bourbon definitely makes a difference for the better!
Yay!! I'm so glad you love these whoopie pies! Oh so agree with you on them going down too easy ;). And yes, bourbon makes everything better. Thank you so much for trying this recipe and reviewing it - much appreciated!
Love the pans! Are they available to purchase that you know of? Thanks!
Home Sweet Farm Home says
Thank you - I love them too! I found them on eBay and Etsy, they are vintage.
Now these are amazing!! Pinning!
Home Sweet Farm Home says
Thank you Karly!